Skip to main content

Monetary Policies

Hmm seems like something is wrong with blogger... The posting window is a bit weird... If you compare both blogger and livejournal, I'd think that livejournal is slightly better, especially with its built in friends network. You don't have to keep navigating back and forth in that way I guess. And hmms trying multiply now.

***

So3H

Civics was another touchy topic for me. How to look after your finances. Well... I do agree that money is important in this world, but I ask myself... Should I try and hoard up money that I don't need at present just to satisfy my wants? Mr Wong talked a bit about investment and doubling your savings and the amount of money we have through smart money managing. Hmm... Have a few thoughts about that.

As a believer I've always let God lead me in the way I spend. I never requested for extra money from my parents, I never requested for extra stuff like the latest clothes, latest CDs, latest guitars, latest movies etc etc. All the money I have goes into spending what I need. For example writing material, school items, food, transport. Occasionally I spend on my friends, my family, just to show them how much I treasure and appreciate them. I hope most of you guys do the same. As a result, my savings are constant, I'm never in debt, and I rarely get broke.

Mr Wong introduced something new that I've never tried. Budgeting, and planning your finances. For me it feels inappropriate. I feel that money should never be over-relied on, it never should be the goal of life. That is why so many people stumble by the wayside. By depending on money, they fail to see the true provider.

I've thought about it. I don't think I'll be budgeting or anything like that. Instead, I'll spend only for my needs and the needs of others, and live within my means. Because I fear that in the future, money and possessions of the world may consume me as I grow older and continue in the workforce if I put too much thought into it.

Its scary how materialistic people can be sometimes. And the practice of investment fuels this. The more money people gain through investing, the more they desire for themselves. As this desire grows so does their reliance in money, to the state that without large amounts of it, they cannot live. Its a vicious cycle that I'm afraid of getting caught in. I'm afraid of losing sight of God.

Money is important, but not the most important. When you start earning, don't keep counting your pennies, otherwise, your pennies may begin to count you instead.

***

YE

Had a mini pool session with the usual people. Paul, Rachel and Gerald. Martin came down that day as well to join us. The more people, the merrier!

Scores:
Me 0 Paul 3
Me 1 Gerald 0
Me 0 Martin 1
Me 2 Rachel 0
Me + Rachel 1 Gerald + Paul 0
Me + Gerald 1 Rachel + Paul 0
Me + Paul 1 Gerald + Rachel 0

Hmm this should be right... Cos I was quite proud of winning all my doubles matches. Did some pretty cool shots like the double off the wall to finish of one of the games, and a tough proxy shot to pot one of the shots to tie. Was off form for the first game against Paul, then my form gathered enough in my second game which was against Gerald, and I won! =) Gerald looked pretty sick though. Wonder if he's feeling ok now?

Went to Bukit Timah Food Centre for dinner and then home.

The next day was cell outing to Holland Village. Subway to be exact. Had an ok time talking with the rest of my cell. Went to Haagen Daz next where we waited for David to get a Lemon Sorbet before leaving. We all went down to church for service after that. Pretty glad I could spend some fellowship time with them and see how Christ has done awesome things in their lives over the past weeks.

The speaker talked about missions, and how we should go in Christ likeness. I feel its the same thing we should do every single day of our lives. Emulate Christ likeness, so that people will know you are part of his kingdom, and praise Him when they see your good works. They will drop what they do, and stand up, and follow Him, just like Levi did when he met Jesus. Unfortunately, it is very very hard. I'll try my best!

***

Family

That night we had an early mother's day celebration at Vivo City. Still feel that Vivo's way too big and crowded for its own good. Went to some chinese restaurant beside B & Js for some nice food. Sat on the balcony so we could see the sea view.

Beautiful don't ya think?


My grandma and my cute cousin. You've seen him before in the previous post.

Seems like everyone likes babies. Heres my cousin once again with my aunt Janet.

Next stop was to Haagen Daz. Again. Hahaa. This time I shared a banana split with one of my cousins, Elaine. They took quite a few photos. Here are two of them.

From left to right: Elaine, Serene, Desiree, Shanny, my bro Daryl.

Ok second picture. Lets see if you can remember their names if I ask you the next time I see you haha.

***

Guitar

The past weeks have been spent practising, practising and practising for concert on the 18th of May. Its quite watered down actually, with only 4 ensemble items and about 10 small group pieces.

Songs I'll be playing:
Spain - Chick Corea
Adios Nonino - Astor Piazolla
Top Of The World - The Carpenters
Pan Man - Tommy Emmanuel

Thats all for this concert I believe. Its a lot more small scale as compared to other concerts, but packed full of fun nonetheless. Heres the announcement!

DEL FUEGO ~ OUR FIRE!
Guitar Concert
18th May, 7pm, Friday
Admission is free, but an invite from a guitar member is required.
Enjoy a range of guitar music from latin, folk, contemporary, pop and classical genres!

Those interested let me know. Don't expect many people to come down cos the concert is way too small scale for my liking. But if you wanna support your friends, please do ask for an invite!

***

Happy birthday dad! You're now 48!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digimon

 I'm feeling quite nostalgic and have been thinking about my childhood a lot recently. A lot of it is because of the retreat I just had with my CG members and how having such a retreat reminded me of days that were more slower paced and more relaxed.  It makes me want to relive some of my memories. Two ways that I've thought about is soccer - I've been watching some of the World Cup matches, and it reminds me of the late nights I had watching matches when I was 15 or so and just starting this blog. About how soccermugger came to be in the first place and how I wanted this platform to post about soccer scores and how I felt about the matches I watched. The other way is to watch old anime, and I'm thinking about revisiting the first ever anime I watched which was Digimon. It was televised in Mandarin at 8am, and I remember waking up early on the weekends to watch it fervently. Maybe its time to do that again.  In general I guess my inclinations are to be more at ease and

Vanguard

It’s taken a long time, but I think my heart is finally at peace. It’s been a tough journey but I am glad to say the worst of it is over. At the moment am surrounded by those who matter to me and I am doing meaningful things. Truly thankful that God has returned me to such a state.  In this season of Good Friday and Easter the word Vanguard comes to mind. Maybe it’s that season of life where God is exactly that for me, where we will be together in uncharted battlegrounds in both personal and professional life.  Not too sure when my next post will be but hope the next will be better than the last. Until next time! 

Vox Humana

497th post. Its been a rather pleasant weekend, filled with Gihon and worship stuff. Really enjoyed myself baking with Gihon. Wished we could've taken a vid of everyone for Youth Day... Probably will have to meet them one day to film them haha. Probably will organise a homework doing session for them to complete everything before the hols end. Well Father's Day celebrations today went quite well... Only had a couple of hours to practise for the hoedown, and practise for the worship went comparatively better than the prac during camp. It was my first time playing piano/organ/keys/trumpets/vox for worship, and I'm glad it went ok, and I did it with God. Driving test is on friday... Not too worried about it, and also have no prob with failing it actually. Taking it easy, but hoping for good news. I guess its the peace that transcends all understanding thats taking over. And the most important thing for me for this test is not whether I pass or fail, but whether God was with me