Skip to main content

6 Years

6 years of guitaring... Coming to an end tomorrow. I'll miss it. The memories are all coming to me. The very first camp and practise I attended with Toh, my very first taste of a guitar concert, my first attempt at SYF, my first exco meeting,my first guitar camp,my first interview, my first conducting session, my first guitar outing, my first election speech, my first small group piece, my first soccer match with RIGE, my first guitar trip to Spain!

All those wonderful things come rushing back. 6 years is no mean feat. Staying loyal, staying commited, and staying as a Rafflesian guitarist. There were times when it was tough. The extra meetings, the extra pracs, the extra effort. But it was well worth it.

***

Guitar

Our swansong: Del Fuego. Our last chance to make an impact. And we did all we could to make it a success. Thank you all my wonderful guitar mates who made it such a wonderful experience. Thank you friends for coming to support us, to see us take our final bow.

Concert day. Spent the whole day psyching myself for the concert. The bubbling enthusiasm that filled me reminded me of the very first time I entered guitar as a kid in RI. The willingness to know more, the desire to perform. Reliving that feeling was glorious.

Tech run. The feeling of monotony. The belief that I've done this before, I can do this again. Going through the motions. Reminded me of those times of hard practise, the times where everything seemed boring, when we were playing the same old songs over and over again. Over those 6 years, it'd become a part of me, it'd trained me to accept the times when there was virtually nothing going on.

Concert time! There was no nervousness, no anxiety, no fear. Adios, Top of The World, Pan Man went by just like a breeze. I went out there and played my heart out, played for all that I was worth. I played for God and no one else. It reminded me why I joined guitar in the first place. To be a tool, a vessel to proclaim God's name. Until this day, He still has been using me mightily, and for that I am grateful.

That day, I never wanted Spain to end. I wanted it to last for as long as it was worth, when it ended there was this feeling of dread. Fear that I'd never see my friends again, fear that I'd never feel the same emotions again, fear that I'd have lost something dear to me, fear that I'd degen over the years after.

The days after that... It didn't feel the same without guitar. On monday, on wednesday when I saw my guitar sitting forlornly in the corner I couldn't help but think... When will I have the chance to take you out again? One things for sure. I'll miss you RIGE, I'll miss you RJGE! You guys have been my life for 6 years, and its all coming to an end.

One thing I can hold for comfort is this: The spirit of guitaring will never disappear from my heart. I am a guitarist through and through, as Vivek most aptly put. And I'll never stop rockin' for God.

Rock on RJGE! You will forever be in my heart.

***

Ok now I shall go prepare for tomorrow heh. Lookin forward to farewell. There better be good food and good entertainment! Just joking heh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digimon

 I'm feeling quite nostalgic and have been thinking about my childhood a lot recently. A lot of it is because of the retreat I just had with my CG members and how having such a retreat reminded me of days that were more slower paced and more relaxed.  It makes me want to relive some of my memories. Two ways that I've thought about is soccer - I've been watching some of the World Cup matches, and it reminds me of the late nights I had watching matches when I was 15 or so and just starting this blog. About how soccermugger came to be in the first place and how I wanted this platform to post about soccer scores and how I felt about the matches I watched. The other way is to watch old anime, and I'm thinking about revisiting the first ever anime I watched which was Digimon. It was televised in Mandarin at 8am, and I remember waking up early on the weekends to watch it fervently. Maybe its time to do that again.  In general I guess my inclinations are to be more at ease and

Vanguard

It’s taken a long time, but I think my heart is finally at peace. It’s been a tough journey but I am glad to say the worst of it is over. At the moment am surrounded by those who matter to me and I am doing meaningful things. Truly thankful that God has returned me to such a state.  In this season of Good Friday and Easter the word Vanguard comes to mind. Maybe it’s that season of life where God is exactly that for me, where we will be together in uncharted battlegrounds in both personal and professional life.  Not too sure when my next post will be but hope the next will be better than the last. Until next time! 

Vox Humana

497th post. Its been a rather pleasant weekend, filled with Gihon and worship stuff. Really enjoyed myself baking with Gihon. Wished we could've taken a vid of everyone for Youth Day... Probably will have to meet them one day to film them haha. Probably will organise a homework doing session for them to complete everything before the hols end. Well Father's Day celebrations today went quite well... Only had a couple of hours to practise for the hoedown, and practise for the worship went comparatively better than the prac during camp. It was my first time playing piano/organ/keys/trumpets/vox for worship, and I'm glad it went ok, and I did it with God. Driving test is on friday... Not too worried about it, and also have no prob with failing it actually. Taking it easy, but hoping for good news. I guess its the peace that transcends all understanding thats taking over. And the most important thing for me for this test is not whether I pass or fail, but whether God was with me