Skip to main content

Down To The Wire

Wow another week has just passed... And its getting nearer and nearer to the most deadliest month in my entire JC life in my opinion. Its down to the wire and I think I'm gonna be pretty high strung. Let me give you an outline, yes?

RR Concert! ~ 13th April
SYF ~ 19th April
NAPFA!

Hmm some people maybe wondering... What so tough about that? Haha. Lets go week by week.

Monday - SYF Prac, Rach home at 9pm
Tuesday - RR Prac, Reach home at 1130pm
Wednesday - SYF Prac, Piano, Reach home at 930pm
Thursday - H3 Bio, Reach home at 7pm
Friday - RR Prac, Reach home at 1130pm
Saturday - SYF Prac (Morning), Worship Prac (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th weeks, evenings)
Sunday - Church Prac (Aft), Church, Grandparent's house (Eve)

Mr Wong (or any subject teacher), if you're reading this... Spare me! Especially the first 20 days of April. I'm sacking everything else for the sake of RR Concert and SYF. Friends if you're reading, please help support me through encouragement, prayer and company. Something tells me I'll need it. Every single ounce of it.

Looks like I'll miss Apocalypse Now. Ahh why is this happening?

***

Random

As you faithful readers of my blog would have found out the previous post... I'm half blind. And it was pretty fun being half blind once again. Woo especially during the CTs. You'll never know when your time is actually up if you don't bring a watch. Don't worry, I'm not being sarcastic. It was really fun.

The last time I was half blind I did a bit of reflection, but this time I decided to do a social experiment. Haha I wanted to find out who I could identify from a distance just by looking at the person's outline. And I conclude that... I can recognise quite a lot of people from a distance! But some people... I couldn't really tell hmm (Probably only in retrospect).

So I've put together a small guide on how to stand out in a crowd.

Benlow's Guide On How To Make Yourself More Apparent To A Half-Blind Person

1. Never sit down. The half blind person will never be able to see the full outline of your body and hence can never deduce your true identity.

2. Wear something you always put on, which is special to you. The half blind person will immediately recognise its you and say hi, no doubts about it.

3. Get a nice tan. Contrary to popular belief, light skin colour does not help a half blind person recognise you, instead to make yourself stand out, get a special skin tone that the person can recognise immediately.

4. Secret signals. Having special attributes work. The way you walk, the way you drink a cup of teh bing, the way you like to mess around with your hair or clothes tells the half blind person who you are.

5. Look in his/her direction. The best way for a half blind person to know if you're someone familiar is to focus your attention on him/her. And the best way to do that? Tilt your head so that you're looking in his/her direction.

6. Most importantly... Don't forget to smile and wave! (Although I know I look quite different without specs. Some of you guys couldn't recognise me! Even I spotted you first. Lol)

I think I'll get a pretty hefty sum for publishing this in Reader's Digest. Heh.

***

S03H

Its been a pretty good time at school, considering that its been CTs over and over again. The main reason being that... Everyone's doing their best, as well as encouraging each other even in crisis, sharing in great moments and just telling each other how they feel about each and every obstacle that comes their way. That's fantastic. Its great knowing what funny stuff happened to other people during the course of the CTs.

My funny story? You guys should know that I'm half blind. Thats funny enough I guess. For someone to be brave (or stupid) enough to come into CTs without using contacts. But I guess it made the CTs more of an exciting challenge.

And one more thing that made me quite happy was that I was able to go home with some of the friends I rarely get a chance to talk to. I really thank God for that. At least it made me a bit happier after all the tiredness and stress each day. Heres a brief outline!

Day 1: Sherine!

This was really quite surprising. I was already on my way to the bus stop after stopping by my locker. I went past the usual row of benches in the canteen, hoping to catch a glimpse of some of my class people... As I walked past I noticed a familiar outline. Yup you guessed it! It was Sherine. I doubled back and since she was alone I decided to accompany her back via MRT. In the end my dad called while we were on the MRT, so we alighted at Woodlands and my dad fetched her home. Talking to her was pretty nice and comfortable, and she made me pretty happy haha. She's great company.

Day 2: Amanda Lai!

Wow this one was even more surprising. Went to RI to have brunch with the RI gang amongst the S03H peoples. It started raining, and I went to the RI bus-stop to get a bus to the MRT. At the MRT... I saw Christine and Debbie (sorry guys didn't say hi cos I didn't recognise you guys initially) at the control station. Not sure what they were doing though. But when I went down to the train platform... And Amanda was there. I kinda predicted that cos all 3 of them were in the same clique. Yup so went home with her.

Shes the won't talk to other people unless you talk to her kind (just like me haha). So we pretty much kept quiet except for a bit of conversation. Other than that she slept most of the journey. Dunno why, just looking at someone sleeping makes me happy haha. I think its cos at least she's able to rest even during times of great stress. And if others can do that, I feel that I can too!

Day 3: Mam and Syukri!

These guys are seriously funny. Have no idea why, but I just feel like laughing every time they converse. Maybe because the way they speak is kinda matter of factly. I like Mam's style and the way he insults people. Especially on his blog www.judeslads.blogspot.com. We met after Maths paper and decided to go home together. I was wondering how I'd do and whether I'd pass and stuff like that.

But just looking at the way Mam operates put me at ease. He'd just say lets forget about it or I don't want to remember it and move on. And that comforted me. The same thing as Amanda's case. If he can do it, I can do it too!

Day 4: S03N ?!?!

Haha the final paper was bomb mega hard. Actually I was breezing through section B and section 3 q1. And checking my watch I realised that I'd finished both those questions in 50 minutes flat. Wow. 45 marks in 50 mins. But then question 2 of section 3 totally stumped me. Haha from then on it was a race against time. Suddenly after breezing through, meeting a sudden obstacle totally knocked the wind out of me haha. Dunno what happened, but I ended up not finishing the elucidation question and meddling around with questions 2 and 3 and section A.

Felt a bit apprehensive about the whole situation when the whole exam ended. Wanted to find some people to go home with or at least some people to stay with for awhile. Haha followed Mie, Charissa, Kenny and Lawry for some time, but went home eventually. And guess who I met at the bus stop. Yup S03N were going for an ice cream outing, and they were all taking 157. So Joash, QQ and Hyqel were there. Spent some time talking to Joash. But just feeling the class spirit and happiness even after the bomb hard chem test made me happy. Induced happiness haha.

I really thank God for the little things he does to keep my morale up. And I thank Him for keeping the faith and being with me through the exams, though I haven't really been faithful to him. These CTs made me realise that I rely on the strength of God and my friends to bring me through. And thats more than enough for me. Results didn't matter any more.

***

Guitar

Friday... Well it was SYF Full-Dress rehearsal. Disappointing, yes. But I was still quite thankful for all the friends there and so I wasn't too fazed. This question did hit me pretty bad though. Does bad music = bad Music Director? I was a bit sad cos I felt it was my fault. But the truth is: it doesn't matter one bit.

"I want to make it clear that this is what I think: our job is not to get the gold, but to get the best performance out of people that they can achieve. And if that happens to be a gold (which I think it can be), then so be it. You should focus on maximizing people's playing potential and then let the award happen. Don't focus just on the award, because that can sometimes make us treat people wrongly." ~Bernard Lim, RJGE teacher in charge.

He's right. And that made me realise my mentality was wrong. What I should've been thinking about instead of thinking about myself was how to help the rest of the ensemble and fufill their full strength. What matters is that everybody is at their full potential, and we strive together for the best.

I hope you guys can. And I want you guys to. Strive on and be the best guitarists that you can be. Thats all I want, and all I'll ask. Whether we win gold this year or not doesn't matter to me, and should not matter to any one of us. Lets do this. Together.

With God to guide the way.

***

Sorry if some parts of this post are incoherent. Trying to piece together some jumbled up feelings and what they mean are pretty tough yes? And sorry if this post is a bit long and filled with sadness, angst and stress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digimon

 I'm feeling quite nostalgic and have been thinking about my childhood a lot recently. A lot of it is because of the retreat I just had with my CG members and how having such a retreat reminded me of days that were more slower paced and more relaxed.  It makes me want to relive some of my memories. Two ways that I've thought about is soccer - I've been watching some of the World Cup matches, and it reminds me of the late nights I had watching matches when I was 15 or so and just starting this blog. About how soccermugger came to be in the first place and how I wanted this platform to post about soccer scores and how I felt about the matches I watched. The other way is to watch old anime, and I'm thinking about revisiting the first ever anime I watched which was Digimon. It was televised in Mandarin at 8am, and I remember waking up early on the weekends to watch it fervently. Maybe its time to do that again.  In general I guess my inclinations are to be more at ease and

Vanguard

It’s taken a long time, but I think my heart is finally at peace. It’s been a tough journey but I am glad to say the worst of it is over. At the moment am surrounded by those who matter to me and I am doing meaningful things. Truly thankful that God has returned me to such a state.  In this season of Good Friday and Easter the word Vanguard comes to mind. Maybe it’s that season of life where God is exactly that for me, where we will be together in uncharted battlegrounds in both personal and professional life.  Not too sure when my next post will be but hope the next will be better than the last. Until next time! 

Ride On

Recently things have been going really well. I've had a leadership position in my workplace for almost one year now and it is quite amazing how God has guided throughout the way. Despite this I feel that I have achieved the balance between my work, personal life and I'm in some sort of a flow that makes me satisfied about how things are going. I'm about to transition to another stage of it, and it feels that along the way God has prepared me each and every step. There's a lot to give thanks for.  Things are really cruising along. I've always liked a good, smooth drive and life feels that way at the moment. Its been a long time along a bumpy road but finally things feel right.  Praise be to God who calms the raging seas. Praise be to God who can be counted on for the hardest difficulties in life.  Not sure when the next post be, but I think if things carry on the way they are, more good posts are to come.