Skip to main content

Total Reflection

Alright... Its almost the end of January, and time passes pretty fast. Tests and other stuffs are around the corner... Guitar, Rock, Piano and YE have pretty much been occupying my time. I'm a very busy guy this time of year. And its only gonna get busier. Well, lets get started shall we?

***

Soccer!

Singapore vs Malaysia! Definitely the highlight of the week. Most of the YE worship people were at church attending the worship seminar, and after that, we all decided to go for supper at Tanglin Halt. There happened to be a coffeeshop there showing the game, and by the time we finished supper, they were having penalties.

Singapore 1 Malaysia 1

The kicks flew into the goal fast and furious, it seemed that it was going to be a deadlock... Until the final penalty. Lionel Lewis saved the low and slow spot kick, and Singapore was into the finals against Thailand. Most of us going... "Woooooo Singapore!" And lots of old uncles at the coffeeshop started cheering.

Penalties
Singapore 5 Malaysia 4

On to England...

FA Cup

Luton 0 Blackburn 4
Barnet 0 Plymouth 2
Birmingham 2 Reading 3
Blackpool 1 Norwich 1
Bristol 2 Middlesbrough 2
Crystal Palace 0 Preston 2
Derby 1 Bristol Rovers 0
Fulham 3 Stoke 0
Ipswitch 1 Swansea 0
Tottenham 3 Southend 1
West Ham 0 Watford 1
Man U 2 Portsmouth 1
Wolverhampton 0 West Brom 3
Chelsea 3 Nottingham 0
Man City 3 Southampton 1
Arsenal 1 Bolton 1

Number of premiership sides eliminated: 9 out of 20 (Wigan, Sheffield, Charlton, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Everton, West Ham, Portsmouth, Newcastle)
Number of premiership sides moving on: 8 out of 20 (Chelsea, Watford, Man U, Blackburn, Reading, Fulham, Man City, Tottenham)
Number of premiership sides in replays: 3 out of 20 (Arsenal, Bolton, Middlesbrough)

***

Reflections

Well, I promised to post my reflections about certain stuff here, and here goes... It might be a bit scary, and perhaps sad for some of you guys... But I hope it does touch something inside. Please do not be discouraged by this, but learn through my experiences, and apply them to your life if possible.

My troubles kinda started when Aunty K first shared about the changes that were being made in church. It so happened that our old pastor was leaving, and there was a distinct possibility that both services, chinese and english would merge, and so would our youth groups. Aunty K was torn... She had gone to God for guidance, come up with the entire year's plans for YE, but everything seemed like it was going to crumble...

She asked herself, was I serving the right God? Did Satan decieve me? Was I being used to bring the downfall of YE? And consulting with the youth pastor on the synthesis (chinese cong) side, she realised that she had the same plans as him, and God had spoken to both of them!

My problem... Its really very complex. Certain things I did, when I thought that God was telling me to do them, suddenly seemed very wrong and unfeeling in retrospect. One of them was the RJGE derogatory remarks issue regarding he/she/it, if you guys can remember. Another was the Eden-Sol relationship issue. I was told by God that staying back and letting things continue would work out. In both situations, I thought I'd been told by God to do certain things, but now it seems so wrong...

I asked myself... Was I serving the right God? Did Satan decieve me? Did he use me to harm others? Was I bringing others one step closer to sin? Was I even glorifying God? The answer I got was depressing. If what I'd actually done was from God, would it have resulted in certain bad outcomes? For example, people getting little tears in their hearts that may not be repaired?

It haunted me during camp. Getting tortured during night games suddenly seemed like something I could do in penance for my sins. I went through with it, not only because of bravery, but I wanted to punish myself. I was shivering like crazy, yet I still went on. That night, back at the bunks, I looked back to the message aunty K had delivered that day, but nothing seemed to help.

Camp soon ended. Yes, I did have fun. But the burden was still in my heart. It wasn't until a few weeks ago when I took out the camp booklet and looked through it again. Something caught my eye. One simple sentence that I'd copied and overlooked. I thought I'd knew what it meant, but in truth I'd only just discovered.

We cannot bear bad fruit, because Jesus is the source of all we do. We either bear good fruit, or no fruit at all.

The bible basis for this verse is John 15. Please do check it out.

I suddenly realised that the outcome of anything I did didn't matter at all. All that mattered was that there was something larger that was happening that I could never understand, and whatever I did bore the good fruit of God, no matter whether it seemed good or bad at face value. Every single thing I did could be used by God to eventually glorify his name, though I didn't know how.

The day after was aunty K's sharing on Love. And it was really a blessing. I remembered that the things I did earlier showed my love for the people around me. Through rebuke, and through encouragement. Perhaps God was using me for these two purposes, to spread the love through these two ways, and to learn how to trust that all I do in his name; all those things he tells me will work out in the end, eventually.

And that links me to the next topic we talked about, which was Joy. That day in YE I found my Joy! After the trials I had gone through and the 'pruning', I came out a better person and understood more things about God and myself that I never knew. So this is my story of Joy!

Hope you guys learn and be blessed by this.

***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digimon

 I'm feeling quite nostalgic and have been thinking about my childhood a lot recently. A lot of it is because of the retreat I just had with my CG members and how having such a retreat reminded me of days that were more slower paced and more relaxed.  It makes me want to relive some of my memories. Two ways that I've thought about is soccer - I've been watching some of the World Cup matches, and it reminds me of the late nights I had watching matches when I was 15 or so and just starting this blog. About how soccermugger came to be in the first place and how I wanted this platform to post about soccer scores and how I felt about the matches I watched. The other way is to watch old anime, and I'm thinking about revisiting the first ever anime I watched which was Digimon. It was televised in Mandarin at 8am, and I remember waking up early on the weekends to watch it fervently. Maybe its time to do that again.  In general I guess my inclinations are to be more at ease and

Vanguard

It’s taken a long time, but I think my heart is finally at peace. It’s been a tough journey but I am glad to say the worst of it is over. At the moment am surrounded by those who matter to me and I am doing meaningful things. Truly thankful that God has returned me to such a state.  In this season of Good Friday and Easter the word Vanguard comes to mind. Maybe it’s that season of life where God is exactly that for me, where we will be together in uncharted battlegrounds in both personal and professional life.  Not too sure when my next post will be but hope the next will be better than the last. Until next time! 

Ride On

Recently things have been going really well. I've had a leadership position in my workplace for almost one year now and it is quite amazing how God has guided throughout the way. Despite this I feel that I have achieved the balance between my work, personal life and I'm in some sort of a flow that makes me satisfied about how things are going. I'm about to transition to another stage of it, and it feels that along the way God has prepared me each and every step. There's a lot to give thanks for.  Things are really cruising along. I've always liked a good, smooth drive and life feels that way at the moment. Its been a long time along a bumpy road but finally things feel right.  Praise be to God who calms the raging seas. Praise be to God who can be counted on for the hardest difficulties in life.  Not sure when the next post be, but I think if things carry on the way they are, more good posts are to come.