Skip to main content

Church Camp 2006

Hey guys... Didn't notify any of you out there but I've been at church camp from Thursday to Sunday, and thus I haven't replied any messages on my phone as of yet. Hmm... Gotta start getting updates from people about guitar stuff and pw stuff.

Day 1

Our family drove all the way to Kulai, following uncle Benson's car. We had quite a great time with Clement joining us in our car after the Malaysian checkpoint. We were like teaching him to say stuff I what not. Got there considerably early... Met Jon and Martin, who were there a day before and proceeded to the Rider's Lounge for some pool...

Me 1 Jon 0
Me 0 Daryl 1

Headed back for camp briefing and lunch, which I felt was kinda good. Sat with all the YE guys as well as the pri sch boys. Well, after that once we got our bunk we had 2 hours and 30 mins of free time, which we spent playing cards, in the girl's bunk and at... The Rider's Lounge. For you know what. Went with Paul and Martin.

Me 0 Paul 1
Me 1 Martin 0

Then it was time for games. Joined my group mates Sarah, Charissa, JS, Felice, Joanna and Andrew for captain's ball. I was the blocker for my group and JS (being the tallest guy in YE) was the catcher. Managed a few great blocks, but couldn't seem to block any of Rong Chang's or Jun Hao's shots. Cos they always did basketball fakes to trick me. Final score ended up 8-13 in the adult's favour, although we put up a good fight. But I think we did well, cos some groups of youth lost to the adults by a larger margin haha.

Stayed back to play soccer! Wasn't really fun though cos of the number of people playing. Way too much (cos of the little kiddies). But was kinda ok. Defended with Charissa, made a few good clearances once I got the ball. Her slippers broke! Oops.

After that was wash up, and I must say that the toilets are soooo nice. I didn't really mind the yellowish water. The fact that there was a jacuzzi, hair dryers, powder, etc etc outlined the fact that it was an awesome resort. Found the secret passage to the Male VIP toilet. (Not the girl's room, which was another Male VIP toilet)

After dinner and an awesome sermon, we split up into groups to discuss what we've learnt. Joined with Yan Leen's group for a great time of interpreting and understanding what we've learnt. Then it was light's off, though I went exploring.

Went first to the adult's quarters, where all their rooms were situated, and went to find my parents, who offered me a good cuppa milo. Then when I came back to the bunk with Max, nobody except En Yao was there. And I was told everyone was at the girls bunk... Went there and everyone was playing pig haha. I played awhile and decided to sit out after that. Then the adults came in and chased the guys out haha.

Day 2

Morning... Was one of the few to wake up early, and went for breakfast first. After that it was another sermon, and then leisure time. Spent the time playing volleyball (50 mana!!!) and pool with the YE guys. And then got my cool pool injury. Now I have a Y shaped scar on my right middle knuckle for accidentally hitting the side of the table.

Me & Darren 0 JS & Marcus 1

The rest of the games were played by the sec2s that day I think. Went for a great lunch... Me Paul and Martin joined the gals at their table. And Martin found a fly stick (to catch flies) which a few of the girls were pretty scared of. Sarah and Esther weren't that scared, so they put it near their side of the table. And Sarah got stuck to it haha. Oh well.

After that we joined the little kiddies for games. Couldn't remember the games really, cos I just decided to sit back a little though we did have fun. The tree and squirrel alliance! I think the only thing I could remember was that. And I partnered Max for the blanket game. (which I was really lousy at)

After that, we played floor ball, and my group was really really good I think! I played a midfield role, sometimes defensive. I knew the correct strategy to defend, to put the stick low (No pun intended lol) just like in hockey. And as a result I was able to block balls and snatch balls really easily to win back possession for my team. Shu, Mel, En Yao, Sarah, Andrew and Fiona! We were quite good. Me, Mel and fiona scored a goal each? And the final result was 3-1 in our favour. Shu made a few great stops too yay.

After that most of them played wacko, while I went to play soccer, and help the YA (Young Adults) people try and beat the adults. Jun Hao, John, Gerald, Nat, Rong Chang were some of the people in our team. Unfortunately me and Gerald scored own goals in fantastic style lol. But I did hit the woodwork, and I was the only one who did that. =) The score ended 2-1 to the adults, with Nat? scoring the consolation goal for us. I guess their midfield was too strong for us.

After wash up and dinner... We went to hear the sermon... And then I dunno exactly what happened, but I must say I'm disappointed and appalled at the fact that gossip, bad-mouthing, rumour spreading, talking about relationships and all that kinds of nonsense could crop up in a CHURCH camp. For the sake of friendship I will not bring this up again. But God warned us NOT to do these kinds of things. And I suggest that if anyone tries that again, he/she should tie a millstone to his/her neck and jump into the sea. Full stop. I hope that thats clear enough a warning.

Aunty K wanted to meet the whole of YE to talk about the guys entering the girls bunk event. And she made a whole lot of sense. But she ended up opening up a nice room for all of us to use! Went back to the room to get the guitar... And saw that flies were all over the entrance to our room. And not the houseflies only, but the flying ants. Got the guitar and left in a hurry...

Went back there... I must say it was a pretty nice two storey room with carrom boards, pillows and nice tables. We ended up having another Tai-Ti tournament again! And I got kicked out of the first round again haha.

After that was feeling a bit lonerish so I went to watch the world cup!

Germany 4 Costa Rica 2
Poland 0 Ecuador 2

Went back to the room where everyone was watching a Hong Fei Hong movie haha. Met Max on the way and decided to bring him back to the guys bunk since his dad allowed him to camp over again. He ended up taking my bed and I took the floor, but its ok I guess!

Day 3

Was still a bit disappointed at yesterday's turn of events... Decided to be a bit lonerish still. Went for breakfast late, and during the fellowship and learning I didn't contribute much although it was the last session we were having. After that we had leisure! And most of us were at the room, but I decided to spend some time with my parents. We played table soccer and I scored a few times against my dad but of course he won. Spent the remainder of the time playing pool with Paul Martin and Jon again.

Me & Jon 0 Paul and Martin 1
Me & Martin 1 Paul and Jon 0

Then it was lunch. Went to sit at the table with Rev. Soon and his wife. The guys were relatively more well behaved, and Paul finished up everything on the table. Jon passed me the book meant for Rachel after lunch while we were still sitting around waiting for dessert? Started writing a bit but decided to leave it for later...

Around leisure time, instead of joining everyone in the room I decided to loner again, and went back to the bunk to sleep and write in Rachel's book. Didn't write much interesting stuff though, and after writing I put the book down and went to sleep.

Woke up just nice at 3:30pm and left the room with the key in hand. Gave the key to Paul who was in the two storey room and went for sports. Turned out that all the youth were missing, and most of the adults were out shopping, so I went to the gym with uncle Joen Yen, Fiona, Steph and Joanna. Worked till my arms ached... But it was worth it. Kinda got my mind away from stuff.

After that went to look for everyone in YE, and it turned out that everyone was at aunty Elma's room watching Powerpuff Girls haha. After that everyone decided to go for a swim. After the swim, went to bathe alone in the Male VIP changing room. After that it was BBQ! And then "Talent Surprise".

Hmm... Uncle Chong Keat performed first, then Joshua and his dad, the Paul, Jon and Martin. Then... The people in YE voted me to go up! Arghh... Wasn't prepared, but couldn't refuse either... So was kinda stressed. Asked Marcus to come sing for me, and I played One Day. I must admit I was a bit embarassed and shy. Didn't wanna play especially since I was in loner mode, but I guess I needed the oppotunity to snap out of it. After that Uncle Allan sang, and that was it.

Went to watch the disappointing England vs Paraguay match, and the exciting Sweden vs Trinidad and Tobago match!

England 1 Paraguay 0
Sweden 0 Trinidad & Tobago 0
Argentina 2 Ivory Coast 1

Went back to the room during intervals to play buddy whacko, and be the judge for the newspaper game. The last time I went back everyone was really really freaked out by the bugs on the ceiling and most of them were tired cos it was already 3am? Nonetheless I still played passing with En Yao, Andrew, Nat, Max and Char. And then we went back to sleep.

Day 4

It was the last day, and nothing much to say except for pretty nice memories and pretty nice experiences though there were some rough patches. Kudos to the organising committee, you guys were awesome. And I didn't know uncle Peng Guan read my blog? Haha wow I'm starting to get adult audience. I think other teens would mind but I guess I won't. Adults are welcome here! =) And please tag if you've got advice for me, or want to scold me or want to say nice stuff haha. =P

I believe those on the bus, my family and Uncle Weng Sun's family were the only people that went back home first... The rest of them went shopping! Haha.

Serbia & Montenegro 0 Netherlands 1
Mexico 3 Iran 1
Angola 0 Portugal 1
Australia 3 Japan 1
USA 0 Czech Republic 3
Italy 2 Ghana 0

Well still owe you guys a nice story... Look out for the prologue of The Tripartite Experiment! Sounds like a good title? If not please give suggestions. But it does have something to do with 3 portions... Not the Holy Trinity though. More of good, evil and neutrality. You'll get what I mean when you read the prologue. Yup thats all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digimon

 I'm feeling quite nostalgic and have been thinking about my childhood a lot recently. A lot of it is because of the retreat I just had with my CG members and how having such a retreat reminded me of days that were more slower paced and more relaxed.  It makes me want to relive some of my memories. Two ways that I've thought about is soccer - I've been watching some of the World Cup matches, and it reminds me of the late nights I had watching matches when I was 15 or so and just starting this blog. About how soccermugger came to be in the first place and how I wanted this platform to post about soccer scores and how I felt about the matches I watched. The other way is to watch old anime, and I'm thinking about revisiting the first ever anime I watched which was Digimon. It was televised in Mandarin at 8am, and I remember waking up early on the weekends to watch it fervently. Maybe its time to do that again.  In general I guess my inclinations are to be more at ease and

Ride On

Recently things have been going really well. I've had a leadership position in my workplace for almost one year now and it is quite amazing how God has guided throughout the way. Despite this I feel that I have achieved the balance between my work, personal life and I'm in some sort of a flow that makes me satisfied about how things are going. I'm about to transition to another stage of it, and it feels that along the way God has prepared me each and every step. There's a lot to give thanks for.  Things are really cruising along. I've always liked a good, smooth drive and life feels that way at the moment. Its been a long time along a bumpy road but finally things feel right.  Praise be to God who calms the raging seas. Praise be to God who can be counted on for the hardest difficulties in life.  Not sure when the next post be, but I think if things carry on the way they are, more good posts are to come. 

Vanguard

It’s taken a long time, but I think my heart is finally at peace. It’s been a tough journey but I am glad to say the worst of it is over. At the moment am surrounded by those who matter to me and I am doing meaningful things. Truly thankful that God has returned me to such a state.  In this season of Good Friday and Easter the word Vanguard comes to mind. Maybe it’s that season of life where God is exactly that for me, where we will be together in uncharted battlegrounds in both personal and professional life.  Not too sure when my next post will be but hope the next will be better than the last. Until next time!