Skip to main content

Our Love Story

Well, as most of you now know I'm now in a relationship with Vanessa, and you may be wondering what went on between both of us. It was a journey that you may have seen hints and glimpses of on this blog, but there's more to it than that, a story of God's grace and His realness.

It was back in 2010, after serve. Serve showed me the power, capabilities and wisdom I had to do God's work, and convinced me that no matter what that He would always be with me. It was a boost of confidence, that gave me the bravery to step forward into new endeavors.

However because of that period in serve, I now strongly felt that I was different from the rest of the people I knew: I didn't enjoy what they enjoyed, I sometimes couldn't understand what they understood, and I didn't act how they acted. I had sensed it innately before, but the realness of that fact stood looming behind me, because even surrounded by people who loved God wholeheartedly like myself, I was different, when I expected all of us to be the same.

The awareness of the gulf between myself and the rest of the people around me drove me to loneliness, during which my only support was God. He satisfied me, but that nagging feeling would come back to haunt me again. I wrote a secret post about my inner demon of loneliness, and prayed countless times about it.

All that changed on the 7th of June, 2010. It was the annual BBGB camp that I'd been asked by aunty KF to help in. I went there, expecting to serve the children and help them learn new things. And it was there I talked with Vanessa for the first time. Initially Regina and Aaron were supposed to help out, but Vanessa too joined at the last minute. It was something she did on the spur of the moment, as it was nearby, and Regina had asked. So she showed me her poems, and I showed her my ipod with Japanese and Christian songs, and that's how everything started.

She told me what drew her to me was my response when she asked what I thought about her poems. I looked at them and out of the sincerity of my heart, said what I thought what the poems were expressing, and it turned out that it was exactly what she wanted to say through those poems. (This I found out later on after we got closer)

And so everyday at night after that, without fail, we'd talk online. About the day, our interests, our families and lots of things under the sun and most importantly our thoughts and emotions pertaining to many issues. We did lots of random things: play msn games, I told her bedtime stories, we played FB games, we had times of Q&A about each other, and I did math and chem questions for her. I thoroughly enjoyed those moments. She was not only becoming a close friend, but the only friend who truely understood me, and shared my sentiments on many things. The main thing that I found special was that our worldview and approach to our relationship with God was the same. Many other things overlapped: our personalities, interest in music, ethos, attitudes towards adversity and so on. I didn't realize it at first, but that demon of loneliness disappeared somewhere along the way.

Initially there wasn't much thought given to it, but one night I was drawn to share one of the things I'd learnt from QT that night with her, and at that moment it struck me. She was the answer to my prayer so many months ago, and God, in all His grace, had given her to me for that very reason. It was a stunning revelation from the Holy Spirit. After that realization I broke down in the shower, crying tears of joy and thanking God from the bottom of my heart. (As I'm typing this I've started crying. T.T)

But at that moment, she was still just a very close friend to me. Then one day, she invited me to witness her playing in her guzheng competition. It was the start of December. I made my way down, sat in the stands, and waited for her to come on stage. She was shining, dazzling even. Some musicians say that when someone plays an instrument, sometimes they can see part of the persons soul emanating from the sound of the music. And that was what I saw. A beautiful soul, uninhibited, trying her best to do her family, friends and God proud. That was the moment you could say I "fell in love".

When I went home I thought hard to myself, my heart pounding. Did I really want this girl to be with me for the future? I had lots to think about, many things to consider. I'd never move forward if God wasn't there, if I wasn't prepared and ready, and if I didn't think she was the perfect one. Was she?

I wrestled with all that, asked God and asked my heart and mind. Asking God in that time of waiting on Him, He brought about mental images of times I'd quoted the bible to comfort her and provide her counsel, and the times when she did the same for me, reminding me of God's everlasting love and His comfort. He brought memories of observing her leaps and bounds in the music ministry, and the song she wrote. Also of how upright she was and how her actions poured forth from God's will and His word. And finally how He'd brought us together. That was one tick on the checklist in my head.

Next my heart. The comfort I felt when we talked, that moment when I saw her playing at the concert. That was attraction right there. I wanted to protect her and keep her safe. I wanted her to be happy. Another tick. Lastly my mind. I ran through the qualities that I'd find attractive in a partner. Someone with a love for music, could cook, wore no or little makeup, dressed decently, was quiet yet respectful and strong, liked anime and japanese things, loved God with all her heart. That was the final tick. I knew for sure it was the right thing to do. Now for when.

I had no idea. I asked God, and with her Os looming, it did seem like a poor time. There was no answer. But one thing I knew, He'd brought us this far, and in His time He'd prompt us to act. But one thing I knew, was that I had to get stronger, able to support both myself and her at the same time, not just emotionally, but spiritually as well. I had to make sure I'd still put God first even with her by my side, and that's what I slowly and silently worked on.

I drew closer to her, and she did the same. And at that point somehow we just knew that it was an eventuality. I let myself get closer, to see if God was still foremost in my heart. I admit there were times my heart would flutter and see only her, but God always put it right almost immediately. Eventually I saw God beside us everytime we were together, and that's when I knew the balance of our relationship was right.

I started going over to her place to tutor her, encourage her and accompany her, and she came over once to experience what it was like in my family. Eventually we also started constructing our family altar, and its been in place ever since, with us sharing what we've learnt from QT to encourage each other every night. After I taught SYC on the sermon on the mount this verse has come to represent our relationship: "Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." Not even our own moments of weakness and pain, will separate what God brought together in the first place.

Well, this post has been long. But I want to make clear my intentions for writing this post. Its not just to explain myself or keep people in the know, but give all glory to God. Its only right, for He has done so much for both of us, and is the one who brought us together. There's no doubt in my mind that He's a God who hears prayer, a God who knows our deepest needs, a God who gives strength in time of need, and a God who works for the best of those who love Him and wait on Him. This whole experience has been evidence of that. All glory to God.

One last thing: I love you, Vanessa. With all my heart, soul, mind and strength, not just with romantic feelings. Lets continue serving God together, always putting Him first, with an even stronger love than what we're giving each other. =D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digimon

 I'm feeling quite nostalgic and have been thinking about my childhood a lot recently. A lot of it is because of the retreat I just had with my CG members and how having such a retreat reminded me of days that were more slower paced and more relaxed.  It makes me want to relive some of my memories. Two ways that I've thought about is soccer - I've been watching some of the World Cup matches, and it reminds me of the late nights I had watching matches when I was 15 or so and just starting this blog. About how soccermugger came to be in the first place and how I wanted this platform to post about soccer scores and how I felt about the matches I watched. The other way is to watch old anime, and I'm thinking about revisiting the first ever anime I watched which was Digimon. It was televised in Mandarin at 8am, and I remember waking up early on the weekends to watch it fervently. Maybe its time to do that again.  In general I guess my inclinations are to be more at ease and

Vanguard

It’s taken a long time, but I think my heart is finally at peace. It’s been a tough journey but I am glad to say the worst of it is over. At the moment am surrounded by those who matter to me and I am doing meaningful things. Truly thankful that God has returned me to such a state.  In this season of Good Friday and Easter the word Vanguard comes to mind. Maybe it’s that season of life where God is exactly that for me, where we will be together in uncharted battlegrounds in both personal and professional life.  Not too sure when my next post will be but hope the next will be better than the last. Until next time! 

Ride On

Recently things have been going really well. I've had a leadership position in my workplace for almost one year now and it is quite amazing how God has guided throughout the way. Despite this I feel that I have achieved the balance between my work, personal life and I'm in some sort of a flow that makes me satisfied about how things are going. I'm about to transition to another stage of it, and it feels that along the way God has prepared me each and every step. There's a lot to give thanks for.  Things are really cruising along. I've always liked a good, smooth drive and life feels that way at the moment. Its been a long time along a bumpy road but finally things feel right.  Praise be to God who calms the raging seas. Praise be to God who can be counted on for the hardest difficulties in life.  Not sure when the next post be, but I think if things carry on the way they are, more good posts are to come.